Suicide Prevention & Awareness

Frequently Asked Questions

Question: How do I go about getting Honors?

Answer: Always go through your Funeral Director. He/She will contact the appropriate Service

U.S. Army  339-202-3177

U.S. Marine Corps 703-432-9524

U.S. Navy  860-694-3475

U.S. Air Force  781-225-6560

U.S. Coast Guard 617-990-6249


Question: Where can I get a copy of my loved ones DD214?

Answer: If they joined the military in Massachusetts you can call

Mr. Michael Perna at 508-422-1998 (Any Branch of the Service

For Army National Guard call 339-202-3177

Military Records Request Form

Question: Where do I get a flag?

Answer: The Funeral Director will get the flag for you. If you are not using a Funeral Home, you can take the Soldiers DD214 and the death certificate to the Post Office and they will provide one.


Question: How much does a Military Funeral Cost?

Answer: Nothing – You can not be charged for the service, that’s the law.

Question: Who is entitled to Military Funeral Honors?

Answer: Anyone who completed their first term of service and received an Honorable Discharge.

Active Duty, Reserve, and National Guard members are entitled to at least a two person detail to play TAPS Fold the Flag and present the flag to the next of kin.








Military Funeral Honors

Mission Statement: The Military Funeral Honors Program will render professional and dignified, service traditional funeral honors, to all eligible service members, retirees, and veterans.

Request Funeral Honors Services: If you wish to request military funeral honors please use the - Army Honor Guard Request Form.

Obtain a DD214: Contact the Military Records Branch at (508) 422-1993, by email at, or FAX at (508) 422-1997.

Request Military Records: Form

Commitment: Honoring those who served is our commitment to recognize the sacrifice and contributions of our nation's veterans.

Funeral Honors Provided: A military funeral honors detail of two or more uniformed military personnel, which oversee folding and presenting the U.S. flag and playing "Taps" either by a high-quality recording or a bugler.

Eligibility for Military Funeral Honors:

  • Military members who died while on active duty or in the selected reserve
  • Former military members who served on active duty or in the selected reserve
  • Former military members who completed at least one term of enlistment or period of initial obligated service in the Selected Reserve and were discharged under other than honorable conditions


Mass Army National Guard Honor Guard JFHQS-MA

Military Funeral Honors Program

2 Randolph Road, Building 1505

Hanscom, AFB, Massachusetts 01731-3001

Office (339) 202-3177

Cell (774) 286-1915

Email address:

FAX# 339-202-0106


Veterans Service Organizations (VSO): Family member may coordinate with VSO to augment the two-person detail.

U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs: Directory of Veterans Service Organizations

How can the VSO help? They may do the following.

  • Provide a firing party detail.
  • Provide a color guard detail.
  • Servce as pall bearers.


Massachusetts Medal of Liberty:

The Massachusetts Medal of Liberty is open to all branches of service and is awarded in the name of the Governor of Massachusetts as Commander-in-Chief of the Commonwealth to any Massachusetts serviceman or woman killed in action or who died as a result of wounds received in action.

Recommendation for Award - Medal of Liberty Pamphlet with TAGMA Form 3367



MA Veteran's Services: Cemeteries and Honors

U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs: National Cemetery Administration



Charlie Baker

Governor of Massachusetts

Major General
Gary Keefe

The Adjutant General

Senior Enlisted Leader
Greg Widberg

All news content on this site is public domain and may be used freely. This is an official DoD entity. Please note that the use of information or any email address on this site for other than its intended purpose is forbidden by Federal Law.